THE MANGO TREE

                                   The Mango Tree

One afternoon after my lunch, I was resting in the veranda of my house, feeling drowsy. My grandmother was too there sitting on the floor , leaning to the wall chewing her beetle nuts. Our pet dog Tom was too lying aside and was sound asleep. There was complete silence and I could hear the birds chirping, the cucukoos singing, the sound of the windows banging due to the afternoon breeze.
There was a huge Mango tree in front of our house and I could see the squirrels running along the tree, the crows building its nest with twigs, the dried leaves falling from the tree.
I was feeling sleepy due to that afternoon's heavy lunch. As my eyes were about to close a big ripened Mango fell down from our mango tree. I got up swiftly and took that mango. It was a reddish yellow juicy ripened mango. As i was very fond of mangoes, I ate it fully by standing there because if I take it inside my brother will fight for it. The mango was more delicious than any other mangoes I ate from that tree. I felt the yummy taste of it and I licked my fingers and now the question was of where will I throw the mango seed. The premises around the mango tree was cleanly swept by my mother and if I throw it there She will make me pick it up later. Also I could not throw it anywhere in our compound because my grandmother was awake in the veranda and was constantly inspecting me of what I was doing and where I was going. Suddenly an Idea struck my mind, I swiftly threw the mango seed to the next compound and walked inside the house licking my fingers.
The story of that Mango does not end here. This incident happened many years before during my school days. And now almost eight to nine years later,That place where I throwed the mango seed now stands a huge evergreen mango tree. The children hanging on its branches, the grownups plucking the mangoes, some resting under its shade, the birds building nests on its branches....
Today I feel extremely happy when I see it because my childhood naughtiness has given birth to everlasting and evergreen happiness..


                                                                                        -Written by
                                                                                         Leo James

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts